There were 64 news reports that were relevant, which means that there was an average of one news report every 6 days. Now that doesn't seem like a lot, but I was only looking at Google news reports that had particular phrases, and not all incidents make the news. My calculations are smaller than the actual amount by a significant factor. I found a more accurate plot from laserpointersafety.com (after all my work... should have gone there in the first place!). These are just reported incidents though. Take a look:
My calculations off of the figure suggest that there are, on average, 12 incidents per day for the year of 2010! Here are some numbers that the FAA give:
- 2010: 2,836 (7.8 incidents each night)
- 2009: 1,527 (4.2 incidents each night)
- 2008: 955 (2.6 incidents each night)
- 2007: 643 (1.8 incidents each night)
- 2006: 420 (1.2 incidents each night)
- 2005: 311 (0.9 incidents each night).
These plots have shown us just how many morons with laser pointers are out there.